Special Events & Culture Guide 2013
The Town of Newmarket is very excited to launch the 2013 Special Events & Culture Guide.
This Guide can help you find out about many diverse and exciting special events happening in our community. If your community group would like to promote your community special event, please contact our Special Events Unit at 905-895-5193.
Special Events 2013
OUTDOOR DISCOVERY & ADVENTURE NIGHT
Newmarket Riverwalk Commons, 200 Doug Duncan Dr., 6 - 7 p.m.
Tues. May 28, Lost World Reptile Show
Tues. June 25, Muskoka Wildlife Centre Show
Join us for an evening of discovery and interactive fun. Bring a lawn chair. Inclement weather location inside Newmarket Community Centre & Lions Hall. Free.
MUSIC ON THE MOVE
May & June, Dates & locations TBA. All are welcome. Free.
RHYTHM @ RIVERWALK
Join us Wednesdays at Newmarket Riverwalk Commons, (200 Doug Duncan Dr.) for live music. Performances run May 15, 22, 29 & June 5, 12, 19 and 26 beginning at 7 p.m. These acoustic solo artists should not be missed. For a complete list of performers please click here. In the case of inclement weather the event will be cancelled. Free.
SPRING MOONLIGHT MOVIE
Fri. May 24, Newmarket Riverwalk Commons, 200 Doug Duncan Dr. Outdoor movie on a huge inflatable screen, Start at dusk approx. 8:45 p.m. "RISE OF THE GUARDIANS" Rated PG. Bring a chair or blanket to enjoy a movie under the stars. Free. Inclement weather location inside Newmarket Community Centre & Lions Hall.
TRY THE TRI TRIATHLON
Sat. June 8, Ray Twinney Recreation Complex, 100 Eagle St. W. Starts at 8 a.m. (times may vary/age group). Ages 3 and up, all abilities welcome. A sport event designed to offer an opportunity to experience the sport of Triathlon in a non-competitive environment. Participants swim, bike and run different distances for each age category. All abilities are welcome. $35/person at early bird price or $40/person after April 2. For dates and race kit pick up information visit www.newmarket.ca. All proceeds of this activity are directed to the Town of Newmarket Financial Assistance and Accessibility Fund.
KANATA SUMMER FESTIVAL: CANADA DAY, Mon. July 1
- Pancake Breakfast, 8 a.m.-noon, $4, Hosted by Newmarket Car Club, Newmarket Community Centre & Lions Hall, 200 Doug Duncan Dr.
- Kanata Celebration, 11 a.m.- 4 p.m. Fairy Lake Park, Water St. Fun for the whole family: inflatable bouncers, extreme bike demonstration and live entertainment. Newmarket Riverwalk Commons, 200 Doug Duncan Dr. family entertainment. Free admission, nominal charge for some activities.
- Kanata Fireworks, Dusk (10 p.m.), George Richardson Park, Bayview Parkway. The Town of Newmarket is proud to present the annual Canada Day fireworks. Free.
MUSIC IN THE PARK
July 3, 7, 10, 14, 17, 21, 24, 28, 31 & August 7, 11, 14, 18. Wed. at Fairy Lake Park, Water St. and Sun. at Newmarket Riverwalk Commons, 200 Doug Duncan Dr. 7 to 8:30 p.m. Local entertainers will showcase their talents. Weather permitting (no rain dates). Free.
KIDS AROUND TOWN
*July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Newmarket Riverwalk Commons, 200 Doug Duncan Dr. 7-8 p.m. Join us for family entertainment. Bring a lawn chair. Free. If inclement weather, inside the Newmarket Community Centre & Lions Hall.
- July 2 Sing along with Russ
- July 9 Andrew Queen Musical Entertainer
Robinson's Karate School Demo
- July 16 In Harmony Dance and Wellness
Vision Dance Academy
- July 23 Interactive Games Show Night
- July 30 Music By Jake
*Aug. 6 and 13, Environmental Park, Woodspring Ave., 7-8 p.m. Join us for family entertainment, at the amphitheatre. Weather permitting (no rain dates) Free.
- Aug. 6 Birds of Prey Show
- Aug. 13 Train ride on Tim Hortons Express (owned & operated by Town of Newmarket), Face Painting & Bouncy Castle
AROUND THE WORLD MULTICULTURAL EVENT
Sat. July 20, Fairy Lake Park, Water St. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Over 20 outdoor performances of music, dance, theatre and more. Enjoy over 50 exhibit booths with crafts, information and delicious food. Free activities include: inflatable jumping castles, make & take crafts, games and train rides on the Tim Hortons Express (owned and operated by the Town of Newmarket). Free admission.
Around The World Multicultural Event Vendor Application
GARLIC IS GREAT FESTIVAL
Sat. Aug. 17, Newmarket Farmers' Market, Doug Duncan Dr. 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Cooking demonstrations, live entertainment & garlic vendors. Free admission.
Garlic Is Great Festival Vendor Application
Outdoor movies on a huge inflatable screen, at dusk approx. 8:15 p.m. Movies TBA. Bring a chair or blanket to enjoy a movie under the stars. Free.
· Mon. Aug. 19, St. Nicholas Recreation School, 480 Keith Ave. Inclement weather inside gym.
· Wed. Aug. 21, St. John Chrysostom School, 800 Joe Persechini Dr. Inclement weather inside gym.
· Fri. Aug. 23, Denison Secondary School, 135 Bristol Rd. Inclement weather Ray Twinney Recreation Complex Rink 1, 100 Eagle St. W. Supporting Sponsor CIBC.
· Mon. Aug 26, George Richardson Micro fields. Inclement weather Ray Twinney Recreation Complex Rink 1,100 Eagle St. W.
· Wed. Aug. 28, Audrie Sanderson Park, McBean Ave. Inclement weather Ray Twinney Recreation Complex Rink 1, 100 Eagle St. W.
· Thurs. Aug. 29, College Manor, College Manor Dr. Inclement weather Ray Twinney Recreation Complex Rink 1, 100 Eagle St. W.
Support Newmarket's green initiatives by walking, carpooling or taking the bus. For up-to-date weather and/or cancellation details of Town-run outdoor events call 1-877-PLAY936 on the date of the event, 2 hours prior to the start time. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. Subject to change, contact the Town of Newmarket 905-895-5193, www.newmarket.ca
For additional special events not published in the Special Events Guide, please visit our What's On? section.