The Town of Newmarket offers the following tax rebate and deferral programs:
- Seniors, low income seniors and low income disabled persons property tax deferral program. For further information on this program, see the
general information sheet on tax deferrals for seniors and persons with disabilities, the Property tax deferral application and the Application for Tax Assistance to the Elderly.
- Tax rebate for commercial and/or industrial vacant buildings
- Property tax rebate for registered charities in leased or rented premises. To submit, simply complete the Application for Property Tax Rebate for Registered Charities in Eligible Premises and submit along with a completed Landlord Property Owner Declaration.
- Cancellation, Reduction, Refund of Taxes Under Section 357 of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25 . To submit, complete the Application for the Adjustment of Taxes
- For more information about the requirements for each of the programs listed above, please visit the
York Region website.
Rebates for Heritage properties
The Town of Newmarket offers a tax rebate to heritage properties, subject to designation or registration of a heritage easement agreement. To apply, complete the
Heritage Tax rebate form and submit to the Planning Department. For more information on heritage properties visit our Heritage Conservation Planning page.
Rebates for Vacant properties
In accordance with Section 364 of the Municipal Act, vacant commercial and industrial buildings may be eligible for a property tax rebate based on the following criteria:
- The vacant space must not be used or occupied for any purpose.
- The vacant space must be physically separate from the other portions of the property.
- The vacant space must be rentable area.
- The vacancy must be the result of an intention to cease business activities for a portion of the year on an annual basis (seasonal businesses are not eligible).
- The space must have been vacant for a minimum period of 90 consecutive days during the calendar year.
The amount of rebate will be 30% of the tax attributable to the vacant space for commercial and 35% of the tax attributable to the vacant space for industrial. To be eligible for a rebate, the application form for vacant properties must be submitted to the Town of Newmarket by February 28 following the year that the vacancy occurred. For full details, please contact the Town of Newmarket, Property Tax Department at 905-953-5300 ext. 2143 or e-mail :
Please note: Following community engagment, all York Region municipalities have voted to eliminate this program starting with the 2018 tax year. The formal regulation is scheduled to be enacted during 2018, however we are taking this opportunity to provide you with early notification that 2017 will be the final tax year for which rebates are provided.
Rebates for Water and Wastewater
The program is available to any resident paying a Newmarket residential water/wastewater bill for that property and receiving any of the following government programs:
- Guaranteed Income Supplement
- Ontario Disability Support Program
- Ontario Works Assistance
The Water/Wastewater Rebate, for qualified applicants, is $288.00 per year. To apply for this rebate, fill in the
Water and Wastewater Rebate Application and provide proof annually to the Town of Newmarket, Property Tax department that you remain eligible for one of the above programs.
(Finance department staff will contact Newmarket Hydro to adjust your utility bill accordingly).