Blue Box Recycling


Municipal Office

395 Mulock Drive P.O. Box 328 Station Main, Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 4X7

Email Us

​​​​​​​Blue box recyclables and green bin organics are collected weekly on your scheduled collection day. Please refer to the Waste and Recycling Calendar for more details. 

 Requirements for collection:

  • All materials for recycling collection must be placed inside blue boxes issued by the Town (exception for cardboard boxes below)
  • Cardboard may be placed beside the blue box if flattened, bundled and tied with twine or string (no tape)
  • Do not place any recycling materials in plastic bags
  • Ensure your garbage, blue boxes and green bins are visible to the collector (e.g. not blocked by parked cars and/or snow banks)

Acceptable Blue Box Sizes

Blue bin sizes The Town of Newmarket will accept blue boxes in three sizes: 16 gallon, 18 gallon and 22 gallon. 

Blue boxes purchased from the Town are replaced free of charge if damaged or broken.

Blue boxes are not to exceed 83 Litres (22 gallons) and the contents must not exceed 22 kg (50 lbs) in weight.

Additional blue boxes can be purchased from the Municipal Offices, Magna Centre, Ray Twinney Recreation Complex and the Newmarket Operations Centre for $10.22 each.

Acceptable Materials

Non-acceptable Materials

Newspaper: catalog​ues, magazines, telephone books, newspapers, advertising flyers and any other newspaper inserts (Newspapers still in the plastic wrapper are not acceptable) Polystyrene foam : (foam/ plastic egg cartons, protective packaging and take-out food containers)
Glass: rinsed, clear and coloured glass bottles and jars that once contained food or beverage.

Unacceptable Glass: No plate glass, window glass, headlights, light bulbs, drinking glasses, cups, dishes, glass, cookware, ceramics, mirrors, etc.

Metal food and drink cans: Rinsed metal and aluminium cans that once contained food or beverages.

Plastic bags/wrap: grocery, bread, produce and frozen vegetable bags and other plastic film/wrap items including non food and beverage formed or bubbled plastic packaging.

Corrugated Cardboard - Appliance, moving boxes, pizza boxes, and any other corrugated cardboard (bundled no larger than 36X36 inches, tied no thicker than eight inches)

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW): propane, paint, motor oil, cleaners and batteries, (take these items to the HHW Depot for disposal). No cans that once contained a hazardous material, such as motor oil, brake or transmission fluid.

Boxboard: Boxboard with plastic liners and food residue removed. e.g., cereal, detergent, pasta, cracker, tissue, shoe and any other boxboard products.

Diapers, plastic food wrap, wax paper, garden hose, rope, shredded paper, tissue paper, paper towels, cookie bags, potato chip bags, textiles, coat hangers, pots, pans, kitchen utensils, plastic toys, lawn furniture, furnace filters

Fine Paper: Writing paper, copy paper, computer printout, flyers and envelopes, egg cartons, greeting cards, etc.


 For more information on what goes where, check out York R​egion's Bindicator.